This tower was conceived and commissioned by Mr. William Owen Stanley of Penrhos who was a renowned Minister of Parliament, a large landowner, and archaeologist.
The now famous. Elin’s tower was purposely erected for his wife whose name is of course Elin. The tower was built in 1867
During the second world war, Ellin’s tower was no longer used and therefore fell into disrepair roughly around the early part of 1940.
It became the centre of archaeology during the 19th century because so many historical artefacts were being found in this area bearing in mind the hut circles just down the road dating back to the second to fourth century A.D. The Royal Society for the Protection of birds first realised the potential and the importance of Elin’s tower together with the surrounding naturalist environment for preservation and observation of birds in 1977.
The Royal Society for the Protection of birds acquired the 780-acre site from the local county council in 1980. The refurbished Elin’s tower was opened to the public by The Royal Society for the Protection of birds in 1982 as an observation point which remains open today. After the acquisition of the tower in 1980 Elin’s tower underwent extensive restoration and refurbishment which took around two years.